Link To This PageContact Us

The Battle of Poplar Springs Church

September 30, 1864 in Dinwiddie County, Virginia
Petersburg Campaign

Union Forces Commanded by:
Maj. Gens. George G. Meade, John G. Parke, and G.K. Warren
Forces Killed Wounded Captured
- 141 788 1,756*




Confederate Forces Commanded by:
Lt. Gen. A.P. Hill and Maj. Gen. Wade Hampton
Forces Killed Wounded Captured
- - - -



**Missing and Captured
Conclusion: Union Victory

BATTLE SUMMARY

In combination with Maj. Gen. Benjamin Butler's offensive north of the James River, Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant extended his left flank to cut Confederate lines of communication southwest of Petersburg. Two divisions of the IX corps under Maj. Gen. John G. Parke, 2 divisions of the V Corps under Maj. Gen. G.K. Warren, and Brig. Gen. David M. Gregg's cavalry division were assigned to the operation.
On September 30, the Federals marched via Poplar Spring Church to reach Squirrel Level and Vaughan Roads. The initial Union attack overran Fort Archer, flanking the Confederates out of their Squirrel Level Road line. Late in the afternoon, Confederate reinforcements arrived, slowing the Federal advance.
On October 1, the Federals repulsed a Confederate counterattack directed by Lt. Gen. A.P. Hill. Reinforced by Maj. Gen. Gershom Mott's  division, the Federals resumed their advance on the 2nd, captured Fort MacRae which was lightly defended, and extended their left flank to the vicinity of Peebles' and Pegram's Farms.
With these limited successes, Meade suspended the offensive. A new line was entrenched from the Union works on Weldon Railroad to Pegram's Farm.

Site Map | Copyright © 2012 USwars.com ,

Popular Pages