Link To This PageContact Us

Civil War Raids & Skirmishes in 1862

•  January 1862   •  Febuary 1862   •  March 1862   •  April 1862   •  May 1862   •  June 1862   •
•  July 1862   •  August 1862   •  September 1862   •  October 1862   •  November 1862   •  December 1862   •


January 1, 1861 in Dayton, Missouri - On January 1, a Union expedition was sent from Morristown to Dayton. Once they arrived in Dayton, the Confederates had already left. Orders were given to the Union commander, Lt. Col. D.R. Anthony of the 1st Kansas Cavalry, to destroy the town, which he did.

January 3, 1862 in Cockpit Point, Virginia - After victory at First Manassas, the Confederate army established a defensive line from Centreville along the Occoquan River to the Potomac River. In October, the Confederates constructed batteries at Evansport, Freestone Point, Shipping Point, and Cockpit Point to close the Potomac River to shipping and isolate Washington.
By mid-December, the Confederates, led by Brig. Gen. S.G. French, had 37 heavy guns in position along the river. On January 3, Cockpit Point was shelled by Anacostia and Yankee, led by Lt. R.H. Wyman, with neither side gaining an advantage. Union ships approached the point again on March 9, but discovered that the Confederates had abandoned their works and retired closer to Richmond, after effectively sealing off the Potomac River for nearly 5 months.

January 3, 1861 in Huntersville, West Virginia - On January 3, a Confederate force, commanded by Brig. Gen. Edward Johnson, descended on and attacked the local Union forces at Huntersville. The Confederates drove away the Federals.

January 5-6, 1862 in Hancock, Maryland - The Battle of Hancock, also known as the Romney Campaign, was fought in Washington County, Maryland, and Morgan County, West Virginia, as part of Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's operations against the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad.
On January 1, Jackson marched north in bitter cold from Winchester to Bath with the objective of disrupting traffic on the B&O Railroad and C&O Canal.
On January 5, after skirmishing with the retiring Federals, Jackson’s force reached the Potomac River opposite the garrisoned town of Hancock, Maryland. His artillery fired on the town from Orrick’s Hill but did little damage. Union garrison commander Brig. Gen. F.W. Lander refused Jackson’s demands for surrender. Jackson continued the bombardment for 2 days while unsuccessfully searching for a safe river crossing. The Confederates withdrew and marched on Romney, in western Virginia, on January 7.

January 16, 1862 in Cedar Keys, Florida - On January 16, a Union naval force descended on the harbor and village of Cedar Keys. They burned 7 small blockade-runners and coastal vessels, a pier, and several railroad flatcars. After all of this destruction, the naval force withdrew.

January 29, 1862 on the Occoquan River, Virginia - On January 29, a Union force arrived at Lee's House. Lee's House was near the Occoquan Bridge on the Occoquan River, just south of Washington, D.C. The Federals broke up a Confederate dance and skirmished with some of the men, before driving them away.

January 31, 1862 in Lebanon, Kentucky - On January 31, Capt. John H. Morgan led his 10 Confederate raiders to the town of Lebanon. When they arrived, Morgan discovered 3 Union supply wagons along with the Union mess crew, commanded by Lt. ?? Short. The Confederates captured the wagons and the entire 11 mess crew. The wagons contained food, clothing, telegraph instruments, and other stores. After loading up with all of the supplies that they could carry with them, they set fire to the remainder of the supplies, the local church, and the wagons. After this, the Confederates left town, heading towards the Green River. Morgan had his men wear captured blue Union overcoats to fool any Union patrols that they might encounter.


February 5, 1862 in Fort Heiman, Tennessee - On February 5, a Union force, commanded by Brig. Gen. Charles F. Smith, attacked the Confederate position at Fort Heiman. The fort was located on the bluffs just above Fort Henry. The fort's garrison, commanded by Brig. Gen. Lloyd Tilghman, surrendered to Smith.

February 14, 1862 in Cumberland Gap, Tennessee - On February 14, a Union force, commanded by Lt. Col. ?? Mundy, attacked the Confederate post at Cumberland Gap. The post's garrison, commanded by Col. James E. Rains, withstood the Union assault. Mundy was forced to withdraw.

February 22, 1862 in Independence, Missouri - On February 22, Col. William Quantrill and a band of 15 Confederate raiders entered the town of Independence. He thought that the town was free of any Union soldiers. Once they rode in, the surprisingly saw a column of Union cavalry. A brief skirmish ensued with the Confederates being run out of town with 2 killed.

February 24, 1862 near Alexandria, Virginia - On February 24, a Union force, commanded by Brig. Gen. Samuel P. Heintzelman, engaged a small Confederate force at Lewis's Chapel. The chapel was located near Pohick Church, about 12 miles south of Alexandria. The Confederates were fored to retreat after a short skirmish.


March 1, 1862 in Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee - On March 1 , there were 2 wooden Union gunboats that made their way up as far as Pittsburg Landing. Once they arrived there, they fired on and silenced a Confederate field battery.

March 2, 1862 in Albuquerque, New Mexico - On March 2, Brig. Gen. Henry H. Sibley was leading his Confederate force, marching north along the Rio Grande River. Once they arrived at Albuquerue, the Union garrison learned of their approach. They gathered all of the supplies that they could and was forced to evacuate their position.

March 3, 1862 in Cubero, New Mexico - On March 3, the Confederate force, commanded by Maj. Gen. Henry H. Sibley, arrived at Cubero and skirmished with a small Union force. The Federals were driven away. The Confederates captured some needed supplies from the Union stores before they left.

March 4, 1862 in Santa Fe, New Mexico - On March 4, the Confederate force, commanded by Maj. Gen. Henry H. Sibley, arrived at Sante Fe. A brief skirmish erupted with the local Federals. Sibley forced the Federals to withdraw to Fort Union. The fort was located just northeast of Santa Fe.

March 7, 1862 near Winchester, Virginia - On March 7, a Confederate cavalry force, commanded by Lt. Col. Turner Ashby, engaged a Union force near Winchester. The Federals, commanded by Brig. Gen. Alpheus S. Williams, skirmished with Turner's cavalry for a short time.

March 8, 1862 in Leesburg, Virginia - On March 8, Maj. Gen. Nathaniel P. Banks and his Union force arrived at Leesburg. Leesburg was located on the Potomac River. The small Confederate force, commanded by Brig. Gen. D.H. Hill, was forced by the overwhelming Union presence to abandon their positions in Leesburg.

March 8, 1862 in Fairfax Court House, Virginia - On March 8, during the night, Col. Edwin H. Stoughton and his Union garrison were asleep in the Fairfax Court House. They were on a mission to try and capture the Confederate guerrilla, Col. John S. Mosby.
Mosby and his 29-man band of Confederate guerrillas entered Fairfax County and learned of the Union presence at the Court House. They quickly headed there and found the Union garrison. The Confederates managed to complete a surprise attack on the Union garrison and captured 33 of them, including Stoughton. They also managed to capture 48 Union cavalry horses.

March 8, 1862 in Nashville, Tennessee - On March 8, a detachment of Confederate cavalry, commanded by Col. John H. Morgan, raided the suburbs of Nashville. There was not much damage done but this let the Union army know that the Confederate cavalry raiders were still active in the area.

March 16, 1862 in Pound Gap, Kentucky - On March 13, the 500 man, 21st Virginia Infantry Battalion, commanded by Brig. Gen. Humphrey Marshall, were entrenching along Pound Gap. Pound Gap was in the Cumberland Mountains along the Kentucky-Virginia border. They constructed some breastworks and were anticipating an attack from the Union forces. This same day, the Union forces commanded by Brig. Gen. James A. Garfield, consisting of 500 infantry and 100 cavalry, left Pikeville and was heading towards the Confederate position.
On March 16, in the morning, the Federals arrived at Pound Gap and attacked the Confederate position. The brief fight lasted for about 30 minutes. The Confederates quickly fled the area.

March 18, 1862 in Liberty, Missouri - On March 18, Col. William Quantrill and a band of 40 Confederate raiders entered the town of Liberty. They were planning on attacking a Union outpost located there, commanded by Capt. ?? Hubbard. After a 3 hour fight, the 8-man Union garrison at the outpost surrendered.
Quantrill pardoned all of the Union soldiers, trying to follow the rules of warfare. The Confederates soon left town. The Union had 1 killed, 1 wounded and 8 captured.

March 19, 1862 in Strasburg, Virginia - On March 19, a Confederate force, commanded by Maj. Gen. Thomas J. Jackson, arrived at Strasburg and attacked the Union force there. The Federals, commanded by Brig. Gen. James Shields, were forced to retreat.

March 21, 1862 in Henderson's Hill, Louisiana - On March 21, Maj. Gen. Joseph A. Mower led a Union reconnaissance force of 6 infantry regiments, an artillery battery, and a brigade of Brig. Gen. Albert L. Lee's cavalry during the stormy afternoon, including hail and sleet. They were headed up the Red River to confront the Confederate force, led by maj. Gen. Richard Taylor, that had been harassing them, trying to find out where the Union army was travelling. Mower's army was being led to Taylor's camp by several Confederate deserters.
During the night, the federals found a route to a wooden rise known as Henderson's Hill. Here, they surrounded the Confederate camp of the 2nd Louisiana Cavalry. The Confederates were still asleep. The Confederate deserters knew the cavalry's countersign, and used it to gain entrance into the camp. Mower seized the Confederate pickets and walked into the camp. They captured 250 Confederates, most of their horses, and a 4-gun artillery battery without having to fire a shot.

March 30, 1862 in Pink Hill, Missouri - On March 30, a group of Confederate guerrillas met at the farm of Samuel C. Clark. The farm was located at the little hamlet of Pink Hill, some 3 miles southeast of Stoney Point. Capt. Albert P. Peabody was leading a 65-man company of the 1st Missouri Cavalry. He split his forces and moved through the area with the farm. As the cavalry passed by the farm, the Confederates opened fire on them. The cavalrymen dismounted and returned fire. Peabody ordered the other half of his force to come to his position. When they arrived, the Confederates that were able to managed to escape. CSA - 6 killed & wounded; USA 3 wounded


April 1, 1862 in Salem, Virginia - On April 1, the Union force entered the town of Salem and attacked the Confederate force, commanded by Maj. Gen. Thomas J. Jackson. The Confederates were forced to retreat up the Shenandoah Valley. Jackson used his cavalry, commanded by Col. Turner Ashby, to cover his withdrawal.

April 1, 1862 in Island No. 10, Tennessee - On April 1, a small detachment of Union soldiers took some small boats, quietly traveled on the Mississippi River to Island No. 10, and landed. They managed to quickly overtake the Confederate guards, spiked 6 guns, and return back to their boats.

April 11, 1862 in Huntsville, Alabama - On April 11, the Union force, commanded by Brig. Gen. Ormsby Mitchel, entered the city of Huntsville. The city was located near Chattanooga and on the Memphis & Charleston Railroad. The Confederate force in town, commanded by Maj. Gen. E. Kirby Smith, was unable to defend Huntsville, and was forced to withdraw.

April 11, 1862 in Newport News, Virginia - On April 11, the Confederate ironclad, CSS Virginia, was sailing between Newport News and Hampton Roads. The Virginia spotted three Union merchant ships and quickly captured all three ships.

April 13, 1862 near Sante Fe Road, Missouri - On April 13, a Union force was traveling near the Sante Fe Road when they spotted a Confederate guerrilla force, commanded by Col. William Quantrill. The Federals attacked the guerillas, and a short skirmish ensued. The outcome of the fight is inconclusive.

April 15, 1862 near Bealton, Virginia - On April 15, Capt. Robert F. Dyer, with the 1st Maine Cavalry, was leading a Union reconnaissance to the Rappahannock River. When they neared Bealton, they encountered a Confederate force. Dyer's cavalry was soon repulsed and forced to withdraw.

April 16, 1862 in Columbiana Furnace, Virginia - With Brig. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's army in the Shenandoah Valley during his Shenandoah Valley Campaign, he had his cavalry forces spread out for reconnaissance. Col. Turner Ashby was leading one of these cavalry forces. He was located close to New Market, along the Stony Creek.
On April 16, Brig. Gen. Nathaniel P. Banks was on the opposite bank of Stony Creek. He finally decided that his best course of action was to seize the crossroads at New Market. He sent some of his Union cavalry up the creek, where they forded at a place where Ashby's men had forgot to post some pickets. The Federals surprised and captured 60 Confederates.

April 19, 1862 in South Mills, North Carolina - On April 19, Lt. Col. Jesse L. Reno and his Union brigade , numbering some 3,000 men, was ordered to go from Elizabeth City to South Mills. There, his mission was to destroy the locks on the Dismal Swamp Canal. This would prevent the passage of ironclad Confederate gunboats into the waterways of North Carolina. A previous attempt by just the Union navy to destroy the locks had failed.
A fierce fight ensued as the Union troops met with the heavily outnumbered Confederate force. Running low on ammunition, the Confederates abandoned the battle field and retreated toward the North West Locks during the night. Despite the Union victory, the action at South Mills prevented the Union force from destroying the locks. The Union suffered 13 killed, 101 wounded and 13 captured

April 19, 1862 near Yellville, Arkansas - On April 19, a Union force was near Yellville when they arrived at Talbot's Ferry. They discovered a smaller Confederate force and quickly forced them to retreat. The Federals then proceeded to destroy the Confederate saltworks.

April 22, 1862 in Aransas Bay, Texas - On April 22, a small group of Confederate raiders captured several Union launches.

April 29, 1862 in White Point, South Carolina - On April 29th, Lt. Alexander C. Rhind left the island headquarters of the local commander, Brig. Gen. Horatio G. Wright, aboard Lt. James H. Gillis' E.B. Hale, a former freighter fitted with a pair of rifled cannon. He took the little gunboat up the Dawhoo River toward a stategically located Confederate land battery near Grimball's Plantation, 2 miles below the Dawhoo's confluence with the South Ediato River. Reaching the fort late in the day, the Hale made directly for it, under a shower of fire from 2 Confederate 32-lb. cannon on the north bank. Once within range, as Adm. Samuel F. DuPont later noted, Rhind opened "with greater damage than he himself expected, when the rebels, a large force too, cleared out." Before Confederate reinforcements could arrive, Rhind dispatched a landing party that spiked their guns, burned their platforms and carriages, and leveled their works.
His job well done, Rhind reembarked and early that evening retraced his route downriver. On the way, he sensed that Confederate land troops were gathering to dispute the passage near White Point, where heavy timber could mask their presence. Before reaching the area, Rhind ordered Gillis and his crew to hug the deck of the ship, which enabled them to avoid the torrent of rifle and cannon fire that crashed forth from the trees. At an oblique angle to Evans' position, the Hale blasted the Confederates into withdrawing. The leader of the ambush, Brig. Gen. Nathan G. Evans, commander of South Carolina's 3rd Military District, boasted of killing and wounding several crewmen and crippling their vessel. Actually, Rhind's foresight had combined with gathering darkness to prevent the infliction of a single Union injury. On returning to Edisto Island, Rhind received the sort of publicity he had sought.


May 1, 1862 in Pulaski, Tennessee - On May 1, Col. John H. Morgan led his Confederate raiders to the town of Pulaski. He had learned of a Union party that was stringing up telegraph lines in the area. The Confederate arrived and quickly captured the 268 Federals. While the prisoners were being rounded up, Morgan learned of a 50-man Union cavalry force that was approaching the Confederates. Morgan sent out a skirmish line to prevent the recapture of the Union prisoners.
The Confederates kept the Federals at bay. Morgan then led his force out with its prisoners.

May 6, 1862 in Harrisonburg, Virginia - On May 6, a Confederate force, commanded by Maj. Gen. Thomas J. Jackson, was moving from Conrad's Store towards Harrisonburg. When they were near Harrisonburg, Jackson learned of a Union force, commanded by Maj. Gen. Nathaniel P. Banks, were nearby.
The Confederates attacked the Federals, forcing them to withdraw toward Strasburg. jackson then turned his attention to the Union forces at McDowell.

May 6, 1862 in Lebanon, Tennessee - On May 6, at 4:00 A.M., Col. John H. Morgan and his Confederate raiders were in Lebanon. Some of skirmishers on Murfreesboro Road went into a house to keep dry from the constant rain. Before they knew what was happening, the 1st Kentucky Union Cavalry commanded by Col. Frank Wolford, swept past the Confederate post. The Federals were the advance guard of a 600-man Union force, commanded by Brig. Gen. Ebenezer Dumont. A Confederate courier managed to ride undetected in front of the Union cavalry and warn Morgan of the Union advance. Morgan and most of the Confederates in town managed to escape. The Federals pursued Morgan and his men for about 30 miles, all the way to the Cumberland River. Once there, the Confederates scattered in all different directions into the countryside.

May 8, 1862 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana - On May 8, the USS Iroquois arrived just offshore from baton Rouge. A landing party from the ship was sent ashore shortly afterwards. The party managed to quickly capture a Confederate arsenal in the city.

May 11, 1862 in Cave City, Kentucky - On May 11, Col. John H. Morgan and his Confederate riaders were nearing Bowling Green. A scout told Morgan that there was a 500-man Union garrison guarding the town. Morgan then decided to headed northward to Cave City. Cave City was a railroad station on the L&N Railraod in the Manmoth Cave region.
Morgan and his advance guard seized the station and captured the next train that pulled in. The entire Confederate command soon arrived. Together they destroyed the train: 4 passenger cars, a locamotive, and 45 frieght cars. A passenger train soon approached. The Confederates stopped it and robbed the passengers, took a few Union soldiers prisoner, and took $6,000 in cash from the express agent. The train was soon let go to continue its trip. The Confederates then left town and went back to the Confederate line in Tennessee.

May 17, 1862 in Little Red River, Arkansas - On May 17, a Union foraging party, along with its wagon train, was on the Little Red River. They were spotted by a group of Confederates, who quickly attacked the foragers. The Confederates captured the entire party and wagon train.

May 17, 1862 in City, Mississippi - On May 17, Col. Morgan L. Smith was leading a Union regiment when they approached a causeway and a small bridge. This was located on the approach to the Russell's House, which stood on a ridge. There was already some Confederate forces located at the Russell's House property, which included a few surrounding buildings. Smith deployed his skirmishers toward the Confederate line and spread his advance guard forward.
Around midafternoon, Smith had 4 of his cannon open fire on the Confederates. The Confederates hid in the house and other buildings. The ongoing Union artillery fire confused the Confederates, who soon scattered in confusion from their positions. The Federals advanced and took over the Confederate positions. CSA forces suffered at least 12 killed and USA forces suffered 10 lilled and 31 wounded.

May 19, 1862 in City Point, Virginia - On May 19, a Union landing party arrived onshore at City Point. As soon as they arrived, the 4th Georgia Infantry, commanded by Capt. William H. Willis, attacked the party. The Confederates managed to drive away the Federals.

May 20, 1862 in Tuscon, New Mexico territory - On May 20, a Union force entered Tuscon. At the time, the was a small garrison of Confederates there. There was a brief skirmish between the two sides before the Confederates were forced to retreat. The Federals then occupied Tuscon.

May 20, 1862 in Jackson River Depot, Virginia - On May 20, a Union raid on the Virginia Central Railroad at Jackson's River Depot. The depot was located about 10 miles from Covington. The raiders were able to destroy several bridges in the area.

May 20, 1862 in Crooked River, Florida - On May 20, a Union landing party was set out on the Crooked River. As soon as they landed, they were ambushed by a group of Confederates. The Confederates had been laying in wait for the Federals. During the attack, most of the landing party was either killed or captured.

May 22, 1862 in Buckton Station, Virginia - On May 22, Col. Turner Ashby's 7th Virginia Cavalry was to carry out their part in Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's plan of capturing the Union garrison at Front Royal. Ashby's men moved out at daybreak and at midmorning, they were at Buckton Station. Buckton Station was a key stop on the Manassas Gap Railroad, halfway between the towns of Strasburg and Front Royal.
The Confederates sneaked into Buckton Station. In less than 5 minutes, the Confederate force took possession of the station. Afterwards, Ashby's men left for Front Royal to join the rest of Jackson's force.

May 26, 1862 in Grand Gulf, Mississippi - On May 26, Brig. Gen. Thomas Williams was commanding a Union expeditionary force, along with the USS Kineo, approached Grand Gulf. They began to bombard the town and the Confederate battery located there. The Confederate forces soon abandoned their position and the Federals only captured a single cannon.

May 26, 1862 near Licking, Missouri - On May 26, a Confederate force was near Licking, at Crow's Station, when they spotted a Union wagon train heading their way. When the train was within range, the Confederates attacked it. The wagon train was partially destroyed with the remainder managing to escape.

May 28, 1862 in Ashland, Virginia - On May 28, a Federal detachment was sent to Ashland. Once they arrived, they drove away the small Confederate militia and destroyed the Confederate supply warehouse. The Federals also a bridge on the Virginia Central Railroad on the South Anna River.

May 30, 1862 in Boonville, Mississippi - On May 30, Brig. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan was commanding a Union cavalry force when they came to Booneville. The Federals captured or desrtoyed 10,000 small arms, 3 artillery pieces, large quanities of clothing and ammunition. Sheridan ordered that the 2,000 Confederate prisoners that was unable to keep up with his force to be paroled.

May 30, 1862 in Front Royal, West Virginia - After the battle on May 23, Col. Z.T. Conner and an infantry regiment was left to guard the captured supplies and Union prisoners.
On May 30, a Union force, led by Brig. Gen. Nathan Kimball, approached Front Royal at 11:30 A.M. They had marched all night to arrive here. Once Conner saw that the town was about to be entered by the Federals, he ordered a retreat towards Winchester. Kimball led his soldiers into the town and sent a 30-man cavalry force to give chase to the Confederates. The Confederate spy, Belle Boyd, was captured by the Federals during their occupation of the town, and 24 Union prisoners were released.
The Union cavalry caught up with the retreating Confederates and engaged them in a brief firefight. Although 14 of the cavalrymen were killed, they captured 156 Confederates. When Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson learned of this, he placed Conner under arrest.


June 6, 1862 in Port Royal Ferry, South Carolina - On June 6, a Confederate landing party arrived at Port Royal Ferry. Once there, they managed to burn the ferry-house and crossing flats that were being used by the Federals.

June 6, 1862 in Jackson, Tennessee - On June 6, a force of Union troops drove off the Confederates and took Jackson. Jackson was a fairly important rail and road center for the Confederate forces.

June 10, 1862 in James Island, South Carolina - On June 10, a Union force arrived at the Thomas Grimball's plantation. The plantation was on the west side of the island. The Federals were able to drive away the Confederates.

June 10, 1862 in Grand Gulf, Mississippi - On June 10, the USS Wissahickon and USS Itasca was traveling down the Mississippi River when they came upon a Confederate gun battery on shore. A brief firefight occured when the ships fired on the guns and the shore guns returned fire. The shelling lasted a short time and the ships withdrew.

June 11, 1862 in Pink Hill, Missouri - On June 11, a group of Confederate guerrillas, commanded by Col. William C. Quantrill, attack the Union mail escort at Pink Hill. The Confederates are able to drive away the escort.

June 12, 1862 near Village Creek, Arkansas - On June 12, a Union force neared Village Creek, when they spotted a small group of Confederates at the Waddell's farm. The Federals attacked the Confederates, forcing them to quickly retreat. After the Confederates left, the Federals confiscated all of the corn and bacon at the farm, filling up a total of 36 wagons.

June 17, 1862 in Smithville, Arkansas - On June 17, a Union force arrived at Smithville and was fired upon by a group of local bushwackers. The Federals immediately returned fire, killing several of the bushwackers. The rest fled the area.

June 17, 1862 in Pass Manchac, Louisiana - On June 17, a Union force arrived at Pass Manchac and soon discovered the Confederate positions. The Federals attacked the Confederates and soon called for help from the nearby Union gunboat, USS New London. With the ship's help, the Federals were able to force the Confederates to withdraw from their positions.

June 21, 1862 in Charleston, South Carolina - In June, the Federals besieging Charleston mounted an amphibious expedition to cut the Charleston & Savannah Railroad. On June 21, troops of the 55th Pennsylvania landed from the gunboat Crusader and transport Planter near Simmon's Bluff on Wadmelaw Sound, surprising and burning an encampment of the 16th South Carolina Infantry. The Confederates scattered, and the Federals returned to their ships. Despite this minor victory, the Federals abandoned their raid on the railroad. Although a bloodless raid, this engagement typified scores of similar encounters that occurred along the South Carolina coastline.

June 22, 1862 in Sibley, Missouri - On June 22, Col. William Quantrill and a band of Confederate raiders were nearing the town of Sibley. While on the Missouri River, they spotted the steamboat USS Little Blue. They quickly captured the steamboat, threatening the 40 sick and wounded Union soldiers onboard. The Confederates gathered up all of the military supplies that they could carry and soon left.

June 23, 1862 in Pineville, Missouri - On June 23, a Union force arrived at Pineville and discovered a force of Confederates nearby. The Federals attacked, forcing a rout of the Confederates.

June 23, 1862 near Raytown, Missouri - On June 23, a skirmish between the Union and Confederate forces occured near Raytown. The Confederates were able to force the Federals into a rout.

June 25, 1862 near Germantown, Tennessee - On June 25, a group of Confederate cavalry arrived at La Fayette Station. The station was located about a mile from Germantown. The cavalry set up an ambush and attacked the incoming train. The train was derailed and burned by the cavalry before they left.

June 27, 1862 near Village Creek, Arkansas - On June 27, a Confederate force set up an ambush at Stewart's Plantation. The plantation was located about 8 miles from Village Creek. When a Union forage train neared, the Confederates sprang the trap. A number of Federals were casualties and a few wagons were captured.

June 28, 1862 in Blackland, Mississippi - On June 28, a group of Union cavalry pickets, commanded by Brig. Gen. William S. Rosecrans, was at Blackland. They were attacked by a group of Confederates, forcing them to pull back to the main Union lines.

June 28, 1862 in Tunstall's Station, Virginia - On June 28, Brig. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and his Confederate force arrived at Tunstall's Station. His forward pickets asked Stuart to come forward and inspect a Union position at Black Creek. A Union cavalry squadron, and farther back an artillery position, was located on the opposite creekbank. After studying the layout, Stuart discovered that the bridge across the creek had been burned down and the creekbanks were very steep with miry approaches. This canceled out any attack by fording the creek. Stuart called for Maj. John Pelham and his artillery battery. They fired a few shots into the Union position, effectively scattering the Union cavalry. It also scattered a hidden ambush site that the Federals had set for the Confederates.
Afterwards, Stuart had sent some dismounted skirmishers across the creek to investigate the former Union position. They did not find anything.

June 28, 1862 in ??, Virginia - On June 28, the Union force, commanded by Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan, arrived at Dispatch Station, located on the Richmond & York Railroad. They encountered a smaller group of Confederates, forcing them to continue their retreat towards Richmond.

June 28-29, 1862 in White House, Virginia - On June 28, a large Union force burned the White House. The White House was the estate of Col. Rooney Lee, one of Gen. Robert E. Lee's sons. The house was rumored to be the place where George Washington was to have married Curtis Lee. Brig. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart was told that there was 5,000 Union soldiers guarding a nearby burning depot.
On June 29, at daylight, Stuart's Confederate force entered within sight of the White House and found that the Union soldiers had gone. About 1/4 mile away, the Confederates discovered the Union gunboat, USS Marblehead. Stuart ordered a 75-man detachment to attack the ship. When they were close to the ship, the ship opened fire on them. Some Federals disembarked and opened fire on the Confederates, also. Maj. John Pelham opened up with a couple of cannon shots. One of the shots exploded above the ship. The Marblehead began to gather steam and called in its skirmishers. While Pelham was continuing to fire at the ship, it withdrew downstream.

June 30, 1862 in Rising Sun, Tennessee - On June 30, a group of Confederate cavalry was at Rising Sun when they spotted a Union supply train. The train belonged to Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant's army. The wagon train suffered some casualties and a couple of lost wagons.

June 30-July 1, 1862 in Tampa, Florida - On June 30, a Union gunboat came into Tampa Bay, turned her broadside on the town, and opened her ports. The gunboat then dispatched a launch carrying 20 men and a lieutenant under a flag of truce demanding the surrender of Tampa. The Confederates refused, and the gunboat opened fire. The officer then informed the Confederates that shelling would commence at 6:00 pm after allowing time to evacuate non-combatants from the city. Firing continued sporadically into the afternoon of July 1, when the Federal gunboat withdrew. Also known as: Yankee Outrage at Tampa


July 3, 1862 in Evelington Heights, Virginia - On July 3, Brig. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and his Confederate force entered Evelington Heights. There was a Union cavalry squadron there and they quickly withdrew from the area. From the heights, Stuart could see the Union camps of Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan.
At 9:00 A.M., Stuart ordered his artillery to open fire on the Union camp. He also had a special weapon that he unleashed on the Union camp. It was a Congreive rocket battery. The rocket would launch and when it struck a target, it would leap and turn in different directions. This caused considerable damage. Unfortunately, a few of the rockets hit the ground, bounced in the direction of the Confederates, and headed back there. This caused the Confederacy to abandon this weapon for the rest of the war. Stuart advised Gen. Robert E. Lee of the situation. lee informed him that reinforcements were on the way.
At 2:00 P.M., the Federals moved some artillery within range of the Confederate position and opened fire. Stuart received a message that informed him that the reinforcements would be late in arriving. This left Stuart with no choice but to withdraw from his position. After the Confederates left Evelington Heights, the Federals took over the position and began to fortify it.

July 4, 1862 near Haxell's Landing, Virginia - On July 4, the Confederate gunboat CSS Teaser, commanded by Lt. Hunter Davidson, was on the James River. It was on a mission to lay mines in the river. It was also carrying a deflated ballon to take downriver and reconnoiter Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan's withdrawal at City Point. It was sailing near Haxall's Landing, just north of City Point, when it encountered the side-wheel gunboat USS Maratanza. The Maratanza was commanded by Lt. Thomas H. Stevens.
A brief battle ensued between the two boats. Near the end of fight, the Maratanza fired a shot that hit and exploded in the Teaser's boiler. This effectively ended the naval battle. The Teaser was soon captured after being disabled. The Federals were surprised when they discovered the Teaser's mission.

July 6, 1862 on the James River, Virginia - On July 6, Brig. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart led 2 infantry regiments and 6 cannon alongside the James River. he had information that some Union gunboats would be travelling on the river. He set his men into an ambush and waited. A short time after the ambush was set, a Union flotilla came upstream. Slowly passing the ambush was 5 Union transport ships with soldiers on their decks. They were no more than 100 yards away when the Confederates opened fire on the ships with a devastating effect. The artillery shells were crashing through the sides of the ships.
One of the transports sank and a number of soldiers had been knocked overboard of all of the ships, floating in the river. many of the soldiers drowned before being rescued. Stuart heard some additional ships heading towards his position. He ordered his men to pack up and they silently withdrew back to the Confederate lines.

July 8, 1862 in Pleasant Hill, Missouri - On July 8, a Union force attacked a Confederate guerrilla camp, commanded by William C. Quantrill. The Federals managed to scatter the Confederates.

July 9, 1862 in Wadesburg, Missouri - On July 8, Col. William Quantrill and over 200 Confederate raiders were nearing the town of Wadesburg when they decided to stop and camp for the night. They made camp on the Sugar Creek. A Union force received information about the Confederate camp and made plans to attack them the following morning. Maj. James O. Gower was commanding a detachment of the 1st Iowa Cavalry at the nearby town of Clinton. He sent out a 90-man patrol, commanded by Lt. R.M. Reynolds, to make the attack.
On July 9, at sunrise, a small detachment of the the Union patrol, led by Lt. ?? Bishop, did not wait for the entire patrol before he surprised Quantrill's Confederates with a cavalry charge. The Federals were beaten back and was soon joined by the rest of the patrol. A second cavalry charge was made at the Confederates. realizing that they were outnumbered, the Federals broke off the engagement and returned to Clinton.

July 9, 1862 in Thompkinsville, Kentucky - On July 9, Col. John H. Morgan led his Confederate raiders into Thompkinsville. His raiders surprised a Union force that were camped at the town. The Confederates surrounded the Federals and fired 4 cannon shells into the Union camp, then charged. The Federals quickly surrendered to Morgan. The Confederates also destroyed a Union baggage train that was at the camp. The Federals lost 22 killed, 30 wounded and about 300 captured.

July 9, 1862 in Hamilton, North Carolina - On July 9, a Union force arrived at Hamilton, located on the Roanoke River. With the help of the Union gunboats, USS Ceres, USS Perry, and the USS Shawnee, the Federals were able to capture the town.

July 10, 1862 in Gallitan, Kentucky - On July 10, a force of Confederate guerrillas, commanded by Col. John H. Morgan, were conducting drills somewhere between Gallatin and Hartsville. A force of Union troops discovered the Confederates. They charged into the Confederate formations and managed to capture 90 guerrillas.

July 11, 1862 near Pleasant Hill, Missouri - On July 11, a detachment of the Missouri State Guards were ordered to drive away the local Confederate guerrillas in the area. At Sears' House and Big Creek Bluffs, the two sides met each other. Both times, the Confederates held their ground, forcing the state guards to withdraw.

July 11, 1862 in Lebanon, Kentucky - On July 11, Col. John H. Morgan and his Confederate raiders were nearing the town of Lebanon. They had just reached Rolling Fork River when all of the sudden, a volley of gunfire erupted from across the river. It was a force of Union soldiers. Morgan brought up his cannon and fired off a couple os shots, forceing the Federals to retreat back to Lebanon.
Morgan followed the Federals and quickly surrounded the town and captured it soon afterwards. The Confederates captured 200 Union prisoners and paroled them on the spot. The supplies captured in the town were either taken by the Confederates or thrown into a nearby creek.

July 13, 1862 in Rapidan Station, Virginia - On July 13, the Union forces entered the area at Rapidan Station. They encountered a small Confederate force guarding the train station, driving them away. The Federals then destroyed the railroad bridge located over the Rapidan River. With this accomplished, they withdrew back to their camp.

July 13, 1862 near Wolf River, Tennessee - On July 13, a force of Confederate cavalry was near the Wolf River when they spotted a Union supply train belonging to Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman. The cavalry attacked the train and was able to burn part of the train.

July 15, 1862 in Adobe Pass, Arizona - On July 15, a large advance wagon train, being escorted by Union infantry, cavalry, and an artillery battery, were being led by Capt. Thomas L. Roberts. They were ordered to establish a supply base in the desert to be used for the oncoming Union troops.
They were ambushed by some Chiricahua Indians at the pass. The Indians were firing from behind stone breastworks which had been constructed on the hills that flanked the road. The battle was hotly engaged between the two forces.
Thomas ordered a retreat after his men were running out of water. They went to the local spring after driving off the Indians. The federals lost 2 killed and 4 wounded.

July 15, 1862 in Vicksburg, Mississippi - On July 15, the newly built CSS Arkansas had set out on the Yazoo River in search of any Union vessels in the area. The Arkansas was a casemate ironclad that was commanded by Lt. Isaac N. Brown. The Union ships in the area was the ironclad gunboat USS Carondelet, the ram USS Queen of the West, and the timberclad gunboat USS Tyler.
The Arkansas spotted the 3 Union ships and opened fire on them. In the naval battle, the Carondelet and the Tyler were considerably damagaed. All the Union ships soon withdrew from the area. The Arkansas then sailed past the retreating ships and went into the Mississippi River. Once there, the Arkansas turned southward towrds Vicksburg and passed through some heavy gunfire from the Union ships downstream. The Arkansas sailed into the safety of the Confederate shore batteries at Vicksburg. A Union flotilla started to follow the Arkansas but the nighttime darkness eventually stopped them about the time they were coming up on Vicksburg.
The Arkansas had been repeatedly hit and suffered extensive damage. The federals suffered 18 killed , 50 wounded and 10 missing. The Confederates suffered 10 killed and 15 wounded.

July 17, 1862 in Cynthiana, Kentucky - On July 17, a Confederate cavalry raiding party, commanded by Col. John H. Morgan, arrived at the town of Cynthiana. They quickly attacked the town and captured it.

July 17, 1862 in Gordonsville, Virginia - On July 17, a Union force, commanded by Maj. Gen. John Pope, attacked a smaller Confederate force near Gordonsville. The Confederates were forced to retreat, leaving the path to Gordonsville wide open. Pope led his men to the town and captured it without any resistance.

July 18, 1862 in Henderson, Kentucky - On July 18, a Confederate cavalry raiding party, commanded by Col. John H. Morgan, entered the town of Henderson. Henderson is located just below Evansville and Newburg, Indiana. The raiders attacked the townspeople and then managed to caprure Henderson.

July 18, 1862 near Memphis , Missouri - On July 18, a Confederate force set up an ambush and attacked a Union party near Memphis. The Federals suffered severe losses during the skirmish.

July 18, 1862 in Newburg, Indiana - On July 18, a group of Confederate troops crossed the Ohio River and raided the town of Newburg. Newburg was located near Evansville.

July 19, 1862 in Paris, Kentucky - On July 19, a group of Union troops entered Paris and discovered the command force of Col. John H. Morgan's Confederate raiders. The Federals drove the Confederates out of town.

July 19-20, 1862 in Beaver Dam Station, Virginia - On July 19-20, a Federal expedition entered Beaver Dam Station. They quickly drove away the small Confederate militia guarding the area. For 2 days, they managed to destroy important Confederate military stores and the railroad station there.

July 20, 1862 in Hatchie Bottom, Mississippi - On July 20, a Confederate force arrived at Hatchie Bottom. They learned of the nearby Union cavalry camp. The Confederates surrounded the camp and attacked it. After a brief fight, the Union cavalry were forced to surrender.

July 20, 1862 in Greenville, Missouri - On July 20, a Confederate force arrived at Greenville. They learned of a Union camp nearby and set out for it. The Confederates amanged to sneak up and make a surprise attack on it. The Federals were quickly overran and fled the area.

July 21, 1862 in Nashville, Tennessee - On July 21, a Confederate force captured Federal pickets 5 miles from Nashville. They then went to the Chattanooga road and burned several bridges.

July 22, 1862 in Florida, Missouri - On July 22, Col. Joseph C. Porter and his band of Confederate raiders entered the town of Florida in the morning. Florida was currently being occupied by a 50-man detachment from the 3rd Iowa Cavalry. The Confederates attacked the Union cavalry and a brisk skirmish ensued. After an hour of fighting, the Union cavalry was forces from the town and headed to Paris with about 26 killed and wounded.

July 22, 1862 near Vicksburg, Mississippi - On July 22, the Confederate ironclad, CSS Arkansas, was near Vicksburg when it spotted two Union ships, the USS Essex and the Union ram USS Queen of the West. The Arkansas engaged the ships, damaging both of them. The Federals were forced to withdraw from the area.

July 23, 1862 in Carmel Church, Virginia - On July 23, a group of Union cavalry had earlier left Fredericksburg and came to Carmel Church. At the church was a group of Confederate cavalry and a supply stash. The Federals attacked the Confederates, but numerous casaulties to both sides forced both forces to end the fight.

July 24, 1862 at the Amite River, Louisiana - On July 24, a Union force was travelling along the Amite River. When they neared Benton's Ferry, they discovered a small group of Confederates. The Federals made a surprise attack on the Confederates, managing to overwhelm them. The Confederates were forced to retreat.

July 25, 1862 in Courtland, Alabama - On July 25, a Confederate force arrived at Courtland, at the Courtland Bridge. They spotted a Union force and managed to make a surprise attack. The Federals were surpised and was soon routed by the Confederates.

July 25, 1862 in Clinton Ferry, Tennessee - On July 25, a Confederate force was at the Clinton Ferry when they spotted a Union foraging party nearby. The Confederates attacked the party, but were soon forced to retreat.

July 25, 1862 in Summerville, West Virginia - On July 25, a Confederate cavalry force rode into Summerville. They soon discovered a Union post nearby. In the middle of the night, the cavalry made a surprise attack on the post, forcing the Federals to withdraw.

July 26, 1862 near Jonesborough, Alabama - On July 26, a Confederate force, commanded by Gen. Braxton Bragg, was near Jonesborough. The Confederates spotted a Union force, commanded by Maj. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, at Spangler's Mill. The Confederates attacked the Federals and forced them to retreat from the area.

July 29, 1862 near Denmark , Tennessee - On July 29, a Confederate force arrived at hatchie Bottom, located near Denmark, when they learned of a Union cavalry position nearby. The cavalry, commanded by Brig. Gen. John Logan, was soon attacked by the Confederates. The cavalry was eventually routed and quickly fled the area.


August 1, 1862 in Jonesborough, Arkansas - On August 1, the Confederate Texas Rangers arrived at Jonesborough and found the Union force. They skirmished with each other for a brief time. The Federals were eventually routed from the site.

August 1, 1862 in Newark, Missouri - On August 1, Col. Joseph C. Porter led a Confederate force into Newark. The town had an outpost that was garrisoned by 70 Union soldiers of the 2nd Missouri Cavalry. When the Confederates entered the town, the Federals fortified themselves in the Presbyterian Church and other brick buildings. After a brisk firefight, the Confederates set the buildings on fire. The Federals quickly surrendered and was paroled later that day. The Federals suffered 4 killed and 7 wounded. The confederates suffered 8 killed and 13 wounded.

August 2, 1862 in Orange Court House, Virginia - On August 2, the Union force, commanded by Maj. Gen. John Pope, arrived at Orange Court House and discovered the Confederate cavalry force there. The Federals skirmished with the Confederates and forced them to retreat from the area. The Federals then occupied the area for a while.

August 4, 1862 at the Gay Mont Plantation, Virginia - On August 4, a raiding Union party came upon the Gay Mont Plantation. They stole a few items and took off. Just after they left, a Confederate force, commanded by Brig. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart, rode to the plantation. Stuart sent out a 20-man detachment to find the Federals. Capt. ?? Blackford, leading the detachment, captured the Federals a few miles from the plantation.

August 4, 1862 near Woodville , Alabama - On August 4, a Confederate force was near Woodville when they spotted some Union pickets. The Confederates attacked the pickets, forcing them back to the main Union lines.

August 5, 1862 at the Massaponax Church, Virginia - On August 5, Brig. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart was leading the Confederate force at Massapanax Church area when he rode upon a force of about 8,000 Union soldiers moving down the plank highway. He quickly organized a plan of attack. He would lead most of his force to attack the main Union force and sent one regiment to the Union wagon train.
The Confederate attack worked perfectly. The Federals coiled in confusion and the wagon train was captured. Stuart took the wagons to safety and withdrew to Bowling Green with 200 Union prisoners

August 6, 1862 near Vicksburg, Mississippi - On August 6, the Confederate ironclad, CSS Arkansas, was on the Mississippi near Vicksburg when it was spotted by the USS Essex. The Essex got reinforcents with other Union gunboats, the USS Cayuga, USS Ratahdin, USS Kineo, and the USS Sumter, to join together for an attack. The Federals made a coordinated attack on the Arkansas. The Arkansas was soon destroyed by this attack.

August 7, 1862 near Decatur, Alabama - On August 7, a Confederate force was near Moseley's Plantation, when they spotted a train nearby. The plantation was located about 2.5 miles from Decatur. The Confederates attacked the train when it approached their position and quickly captured it. The train was a convalescent train headed to the Union lines. After stealing all valuables and equipment, the Confederates then left.

August 7, 1862 in Wood Springs, Tennessee - On August 7, a Union cavalry force was at Wood Springs, located about 5 miles east of Dryersburg. The spotted a Confederate cavalry force nearby and was able to sneak up on them and attack. The Confederates were caught offguard and routed.

August 7, 1862 near Fort Fillmore, New Mexico - On August 7, a Union force, commanded by Brig. Gen. E.R.S. Canby, encountered a Confederate force near Fort Fillmore. They attacked and defeated the Confederates, who were in the process of retreating from Santa Fe.

August 10, 1862 near Fort Pulaski, Georgia - On August 10, the Confederate steamer, CSS General Lee, was on the Savannah River, near Fort Pulaski. The local Union force spotted the Lee and was able to capture it.

August 10, 1862 in Bayou Sara, Louisiana - On August 10, the Union ironclad, USS Essex, was with a Union transport when they arrived at Bayou Sara. The local Confederates saw the two ships and opened fire on them. The Essex was protectiong the transport while it was removing a large quanity of sugar from the area.
Once finished, the transport and the Essex quickly departed the area.

August 11, 1862 in Saulsbury, Tennessee - On August 11, a Union force entered Saulsbury and attacked a group of Confederate guerrilla cavalry. The Confederates were soon routed.

August 12, 1862 in Galatin, Tennessee - On August 12, Confederate raiders under Col. John Hunt Morgan swept into Gallatin, a town on the vital railroad between Nashville and the Union supply center at Louisville. After the Confederates had captured the local Union garrison, burned down the railroad depot and destroyed some of its trestles, they turned their attention to an 800-foot railroad tunnel that had been cut through a mountain, north of the town.
Morgan's men set fire to a captured Union supply train, which Morgan had loaded up with hay, and pushed the train into the tunnel. Inside the tunnel, the wooden support beams caught fire and burned until they collapsed. This action would have the railroad and tunnel closed for months to come.

August 13, 1862 at Potomac River, Virginia - On August 13, the Union steamers, USS George Peabody and USS West Point, were travelling on the Potomac River. Unfortunately, both ships collided into each other. Over 70 men were killed in the accident.

August 14, 1862 at Barry, Missouri - On August 14, a Union force was near barry when they encountered a group of Confederate guerrillas. The Confederates were forced to retreat. Afterwards, the Federals burned certain suspected guerrillas' homes.

August 17, 1862 in London, Kentucky - On August 17, Col. John S. Scott was commanding a Confederate brigade when he entered London. Scott's force had ridden 160 miles to the southeastern part of Kentucky. He attacked the Union garrison and a 1-hour battle ensued. Only 65 Federals managed to escape to the nearby mountains. The federals suffered 50 killed & wounded and 75 captured.

August 17, 1862 in Acton, Minnesota - On August 17, a Souix uprising occured at Acton. Acton is located in southwestern Minnesota. With dwindling amounts of food on their reservation, the Indians revolted by murdering several settlers near the small town of Acton.
This action with the Indians would be the beginning of a week of fighting between the Sioux and nearby settlements and Union forces.

August 17, 1862 at Mammoth Cave, Kentucky - On August 17, a Union force arrived at Mammoth Cave and ran into a small group of Confederate guerrillas. A brief skirmish ensued, with the Confederates being captured.

August 18, 1862 in Clarksville, Tennessee - On August 13, Lt. Col. Benjamin H. Bristow was leading his ,800 man, Kentucky cavalry when he learned of a Union garrison at Clarksville. The Union garrison was comprised of the 71st Ohio Infantry numbering 320 men, commanded by Col. Rodney Mason. The Confederates conducted an interview with Mason under a flag of truce. Mason, realizing that he was outnumbered almost 3-to-1, decided to surrender his garrison to the Confederates. On August 22, Mason was cashiered from the service by President Abraham Lincoln for "repeated acts of cowardice in the face of the enemy."

August 18, 1862 at Dyersburg, Tennessee - On August 18, a Union force encountered a small group of Confederates at Dyersburg. The Federals quickly routed the Confederates.

August 18, 1862 on the Tennessee River, Tennessee - On August 18, a Union force was able to capture two Confederate steamers near Waggoner's and Walker's Landing.

August 18, 1862 in Redwood Ferry, Minnesota - On August 18, a group of Sioux set up an ambush for the Union forces in the area. The Indians sprang the trap and successfully ambushed the Federals, killing several of them in the process.

August 20, 1862 at Kelly's Ford, Virginia - On August 20, in the early morning, Col. William H. Fitzhugh Lee led his brigade to Kelly's Ford on the Rappahannock River. They encountered a small Union cavalry force and managed to drive them away.

August 20, 1862 in Stevensburg, Virginia - On August 20, Brig. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart led his Confederate force toward the village of Stevensburg. That afternoon, he encountered 5 Union regiments being commanded by Brig. Gen. ?? Bayard. After a few charges, the Confederates forced the Federals to break ranks and head back towards the Rappahannock River. During this time, the area was filled with many smaller scattered fights. Most of the Union force managed to escape across the river but 64 were captured. The confederates suffered 3 killed and 13 wounded.

August 21, 1862 at Pickney Island, South Carolina - On August 21, a Confederate force launched a surprise attack on a Union company posted on Pickney Island. Along with the Union soldiers, there were some prisoners locked up. The attack forced the Federals to withdraw.

August 21, 1862 in Hartsville, Tennessee - On August 21, Col. John H. Morgan and his Confederate raiders arrived at Hartsville. Hartsville was located just 17 miles east of Gallitan. Morgan struck the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. They tore up some tracks, thus keeping the Federals from using the railroad for a little while.

August 21, 1862 near Gallatin, Tennessee - On August 21, after learning of Col. John H. Morgan's action at Hartsville, the Union high-command decided to head off Morgan's Confederate raiders. They sent Brig. Gen. Richard W. Johnson and 640 Union cavalry to head off the Confederate raiders. Johnson left McMinnville and arrived at Hartsville, only to find the Confederates old camp. Upon hearing reports that Col. Nathan B. Forrest was heading towards Hartsville, the Federals left. They encountered the Confederates near Gallatin and attacked them.
After a brisk fight, the Federals fell back for 3 miles, reformed, and made another attack. The Confederates overpowered the Federals, causing Johnson to surrender to Morgan.

April 23, 1862 in Big Hill, Kentucky - On August 23, While travelling up the road to Lexington, Col. John Scott's Confederate troops ran into a force of Union cavalry atop Big Hill, on the western edge of the Cumberland Mountains.
The Union troops consisted of the 7th Kentucky Cavalry and a battalion of the 3rd Tennessee Cavalry, commanded by Col. Leonidas Metcalfe. At Scott's approach, Metcalfe ordered a cavalry charge. As the army's Adjutant General, J. Mills Kendrick, reported later, Metcalfe then "had the mortification to find that not more than 100 of his regiment followed him; the remainder, at the first cannon shot, turned tail and fled like a pack of cowards." A few men from the 3rd Tennessee rescued Metcalfe.
Scott chased the federals up the road to Richmond, Kentucky, 20 miles southeast of Lexington. But during the chase, the Confederate troopers learned from a captured Union dispatch that heavy Union reinforcements were due in Richmond by August 23. The federals suffered 10 killed and 40 wounded. The confederates suffered 25 killed & wounded.

August 26, 1862 at ??, ?? - On August 26, a Union force, commanded by Maj. Gen. Samuel R. Curtis, captured the Confederate steamer, CSS Fair Play.

August 27, 1862 near Bolivar, Tennessee - On August 27, Col. Frank C. Armstrong was leading a Confederate force of 3,000 cavalry towards Bolivar. He was conducting a raid into west Tennessee. When they were 5 miles from Bolivar, the Confederates came into contact with a Union force of 900 cavalry, commanded by Col. Mortimer Leggett, on the Van Buren Road. During the fight, Leggett spotted a Confederate force coming to the area. Even though he knew that he was outnumbered, Leggett decided to stay and fight. Both sides had reinforcements come and bolster their numbers.
The battle would last for 7 hours. Leggett had thought that he was the victor of the battle since he held the ground at the end of the fight. Armstrong thought that he had won the battle. The federals suffered 5 killed, 18 wounded and 64 missing. The confederates suffered 71 casualties.

August 27, 1862 near Woodbury, Tennessee - On August 27, a Confederate cavalry force, commanded by Brig. Gen. Nathan B. Forrest, learned of a nearby Union force at Round Mountain. The mountain was about 2.5 miles from Woodbury. The Confederate attack was repulsed by the Federal camp.

August 31, 1862 at Rogers' Gap, Tennessee - On August 31, Union force, commanded by Brig. Gen. George W. Morgan, attacked the Confederate camp at Rogers' Gap. The Confederates were quickly dispersed by the Federals.

August 31, 1862 in Medon Station, Tennessee - On August 31, Col. Frank C. Armstrong was leading his Confederate cavalry towards Medon Station. The Union force at the railroad station dug into a defensive position with a barricade of cotton bales.
At 3:00 P.M., the Confederates attacked. The Federals held their position and Armstrong had to finally withdraw.


September 2, 1862 near Leesburg, Virginia - On September 2, a Confederate force was near Leesburg when they discovered a nearby Union force. The Confederates attacked the Federals, routing them along the way.

September 2, 1862 at Spencer Court House, West Virginia - On September 2, a Confederate cavalry raid, commanded by Brig. Gen. Albert G. Jenkins, arrived at the Spencer Court House. There, they discovered a Union force nearby. The cavalry attacked the Federals, forcing them to surrender.

September 5, 1862 in the Atlantic Ocean - On September 5, the CSS Alabama was in the eastern Atlantic Ocean, near the Azores Islands, when it spotted a Union ship nearby. The Alabama attacked the USS Ocmulgee and soon captured it. After transferring the new Union prisoners and supplies onboard, the Alabama burned the Ocmulgee and left.

September 5, 1862 in Poolesville, Virginia - On September 5, Brig. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart led a Confederate cavalry force towards the village of Poolesville. Within 2 or 3 miles from the village, the Confederates flushed a small Union party from the area capturing 30 prisoners. They then continued to the village.

September 6, 1862 in Olathe, Kansas - On September 6, Col. William Quantrill and his Confederate guerilla force entered the town of Olathe at dawn. They surprised the 125-man Union garrison and captured them all. The town was looted and the community newspaper, the Mirror, was destroyed. The Union soldiers were quickly paroled as the Confederates left town.

September 7, 1862 at Port Hudson, Louisiana - On September 7, the USS Essex arrived at Port Hudson. The ship soon engaged fire with the Confederate shore batteries. After a short time, the Essex withdrew from the area.

September 9, 1862 at Williamsburg, Virginia - On September 9, a Confederate force entered Williamsburg and attacked the local Union force, commanded by Maj. Gen. John A. Dix. The Federals were soon routed by the Confederates.

September 13, 1862 at Charleston, West Virginia - On September 13, a Confederate force, commanded by Maj. Gen. William W. Loring, entered Charleston. They attacked the Union force there, and forced the Federals to evacuate the town.

September 17, 1862 at Saint John's Bluff, Florida - On September 17, a Union flotilla of 5 gunboats arrived just offshore at Saint John's Bluff. They opened fire on the Confederate shore batteries, which also fired back at the ships. After awhile, the ships withdrew from the area.

September 17, 1862 at Munfordsville, Kentucky - On September 17, the Union troops at Munfordsville were forced to surrender to the arriving Confederate forces, commanded by Gen. Braxton Bragg.

September 19, 1862 near Helena, Arkansas - On September 19, a small skirmish ensued between some Union pickets and a detachment from the Texas Rangers. The outcome was inconclusive.

September 20, 1862 at Munfordsville, Kentucky - On September 20, the Union force, commanded by Maj. Gen. Don C. Buell, entered the town of Munfordsville. They skirmished and forced the occupying Confederate forces, commanded by Gen. Braxton Bragg, to withdraw from their positions. Bragg took his force to Bardstown to join up with Maj. Gen. E. Kirby Smith.

September 20, 1862 near Shiloh, North Carolina - On September 20, the Union ironclad, USS Lancer, arrived near Shiloh. It sent a landing party ashore and quickly engaged a small Confederate force. The Confederates were soon driven away.

September 22, 1862 at Ashby's Gap, Virginia - On September 22 , a Union force was continuing to advance on the Confederate forces. The Federals caught up with the tail end of the Confederates and attacked the Confederate wagon train. Several trains were captured, filled with supplies, along with some prisoners.

September 23, 1862 in Randolph, Tennessee - On September 23, the USS Eugene was traveling on the Mississippi River when it neared the town of Randolph. Once there, Confederate troops fired on and attacked the ship. It managed to get away after suffering some damage.
When the Union force nearby learned of Eugene's attack, they went to Randolph and took revenge by burning the town.

September 25, 1862 at Randolph, Tennessee - On September 25, a Union force, commanded by Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman, entered the town of Randolph. The town had been used as a safe haven for the Confederate troops. Sherman ordered Randolph to be burned, which the troops proceeded to do.

September 25, 1862 in Davis's Bridge, Tennessee - On September 25, a Union cavalry reconnaissance party arrived at Davis's Bridge. The 200-man 11th Illinois Cavalry, commanded by Lt. Col. John McDermott, was surprised by by a group of Confedereate guerrillas. They forced the Federals to scatter suffering 70 killed and wounded.

September 29, 1862 near New Haven, Kentucky - On September 29, the 3rd Georgia Cavalry, commanded by Col. Martin J. Crawford, was travelling near New Haven. As they arrived their, they were surprised by a larger Union force that was waiting for them. The entire cavalry unit was captured by the Federals.
Crawford had his pay and rank suspended for 3 months for allowing his unit to be captured.

September 29, 1862 at Buckland Mills, Virginia - On September 29, a Union cavalry expedition arrived at Buckland Mills. Once there, they surprised and captured many sick and wounded Confederate soldiers. The Confederates were soon paroled.


October 1-3, 1862 in Jacksonville, Florida - Brig. Gen. John Finegan established a battery on St. John' s Bluff near Jacksonville to stop the movement of Union ships up the St. Johns River. Brig. Gen. John M. Brannan embarked with about 1,500 infantry aboard the transports Boston, Ben DeFord, Cosmopolitan, and Neptune at Hilton Head, South Carolina, on September 30. The flotilla arrived at the mouth of the St. John' s River on October 1, where Cdr. Charles Steedman' s gunboats—Paul Jones, Cimarron, Uncas, Patroon, Hale, and Water Witch—joined them.
By midday, the gunboats approached the bluff, while Brannan began landing troops at Mayport Mills. Another infantry force landed at Mount Pleasant Creek, about 5 miles in the rear of the Confederate battery, and began marching overland on the 2nd. Outmaneuvered, Lt. Col. Charles F. Hopkins abandoned the position after dark. When the Union gunboats approached the bluff the next day, its guns were silent.

October 2, 1862 near Columbia, Missouri - On October 2, a small Union force was near Columbia when they encountered a group of Confederate guerrillas. The Confederates were quickly routed.

October 2, 1862 at Beaumont, Texas - On October 2, a Union force arrived at the railroad depot near Beaumont. They engaged the Eastern Texas Brigade, quickly defeating the Confederates and then destroying the depot.

October 3, 1862 near Franklin, Tennessee - On October 3, a Union force, commanded by Maj. Gen. John Dix, arrived at the Blackwater River, near Franklin, when he spotted some Confederates nearby. The Confederate force had thrown up a movable bridge across the river. Dix attempted to destroy the bridge.
After a short fight, both sides withdrew a short distance to regroup.

October 10, 1862 at Fairview Heights, Maryland - On October 10, a small group of Confederates, commanded by Maj. Gen. JEB Stuart, captured a Union signal station on Fairview Heights.

October 11, 1862 at Chambersburg, Pennsylvania - On October 11, a Confederate force, commanded by Maj. Gen. JEB Stuart, arrived at the small town of Chambersburg. They quickly captured the town.

October 12, 1862 near Arrow Rock, Missouri - On October 12, a small Union force was nearing Arrow Rock when they were suddenly attacked by Confederate guerrillas. The Confederates were laying in an ambush waiting on the Federals. The Federals were forced to withdraw after sustaing heavy casualties.

October 16, 1862 at Auxvasse Creek, Missouri - On October 16, a Union force arrived at Auxvasse Creek and discovered a Confederate guerrilla camp nearby. They Federals attacked the camp and forced the guerrillas to flee.

October 17, 1862 in Shawneetown, Kansas - On October 17, Col. William Quantrill and his Confederate guerrillas charged across the prairie towards Shawneetown. Just outside the town, they encountered a Union wagon train that was heading towards Kansas City. The Confederates circled the wagon train and opened fire on them. Some 15 of the escorts and drivers were killed and the rest of them ran away. The Confederates burned the wagons.
Quantrill's men entered Shawneetown and killed 10 civilians. They then looted the stores and then burned the stores and houses. The town was virtually erased from the map.

October 18, 1862 in Lexington, Kentucky - On October 18, Col. John H. Morgan and a force of Confederate raiders circled eastward and came to Lexington. They soon skirmished with a portion of the 3rd Ohio Cavalry before the Confederates captured the town. The Union garrison were composed of the 3rd and 4th Ohio Cavalry.
The Confederates left before the end of the day. Maj. Gen. Gordon Granger gathered his cavalry force and pursued Morgan's men.

October 18, 1862 at California House, Missouri - On October 18, a group of Confederate guerrillas attacked a small detachment of Union troops at California House. The Federals were forced to withdraw from the area.

October 20, 1862 near Nashville, Tennessee - On October 20, a Union force encountered a smaller Confederate force, commanded by Brig. Gen. Nathan B. Forrest, on the Gallatin Pike. This was located near Nashville. The Confederates were repelled and withdrew from the area.

October 20, 1862 in Bardstown, Kentucky - On October 20, Col. John H. Morgan and his Confederate raiders were travelling on the Louisville Road near Bardstown when they discovered a large Union force moving in their direction. Morgan ordered his troops to dodge the Federals, which they managed to do. The Confederates then found a 150-wagon supply train, captured it, and burned all of the wagons.

October 21, 1862 at Woodville, Tennessee - On October 21, a group of Confederate Partisan Rangers attacked a Union force at Woodville. The Confederates chased the Federals away.

October 21, 1862 in Leitchfield, Kentucky - On October 21, Col. John H. Morgan and his Confederate raiders camped at Leitchfield during the night. They then went into town where they captured a company of Home Guards. They moved the prisoners into the local courthouse.
On October 22, Morgan promised not to kill the prisoners if they promised to not take up arms against the Confederacy for the remainder of the war. The Home Guard accepted these terms and were sworn to their word.

October 21, 1862 at Lovettsville, Virginia - On October 21, a Union reconnaissance from Loudon Heights arrived at Lovettsville. Once there, they spotted a Confederate foragers and attacked them. The foragers were quickly captured.

October 22, 1862 near Old Fort Wayne, Oklahoma - Brig. Gen. James G. Blunt and his troops attacked Col. Douglas H. Cooper and his Confederate command on Beatties Prairie near Old Fort Wayne at 7:00 A.M. on October 22. The Confederates put up stiff resistance for 1/2 hour, but overwhelming numbers forced them to retire from the field in haste, leaving artillery and equipage behind.
This was a setback in the 1862 Confederate offensive that extended from the tidewater in the east to the plains of the Indian Territory of the west.

October 22, 1862 in London, Kentucky - On October 22, a Confederate cavalry force, commanded by Brig. Gen. Josepoh Wheeler, entered London. They quickly drove away a small Union force there and captured the town.

October 23, 1862 in Manchester, Kentucky - On October 23, a Union force came upon the Goose Creek Salt Works near the town of Manchester. There were not any Confederate troops around and the Union force proceeded to destroy the salt works. Afterwards, they left the area.

October 25, 1862 at Donaldsonville, Louisiana - On October 25, a Union force, commanded by Brig. Gen. Godfrey Weitzel, arrived at the town of Donaldsonville. The few Confederates there quickly left town, allowing the Federals to capture Donaldsonville.

October 27, 1862 at Snicker's Gap, Virginia - On October 27, a skirmish occured at Snicker's Gap between the Federal and Confederate forces. The Confederates, commanded by Gen. Robert E. Lee, forced the Federals to withdraw. The skirmish occured as Lee was moving the Army of Northern Virginia from the Shenandoah Valley to meet the Army of the Potomac in lower Virginia.

October 27, 1862 at Fayetteville, Arkansas - On October 27, a skirmish ensued between the Federals and Confederates at Fayetteville. The Confederates were forced to withdraw and retreated to around the Boston Mountain. During the retreat, the Federals pursued the Confederates.

October 28, 1862 near Fayetteville, Arkansas - On October 28, a Union force was moving alongside the White River and came upon Oxford Bend. The area was located near Fayetteville. They encountered a Confederate force, commanded by Brig. Gen. Samuel R. Curtis, and engaged them. The Confederates were forced to retreat from their position.

October 29, 1862 opposite Williamsport, Maryland - On October 29, a small Union detachment was just opposite Williamsport when they spotted a group of Confederate pickets. The pickets were quickly captured without much trouble.

October 29, 1862 near Petersburg, West Virginia - On October 29, a Union force was chasing a Confederate force with 200 heads of stolen cattle, taken earlier in a cavalry raid by Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart. The Federals overtook the Confederates and recaptured all of the cattle.

October 30, 1862 in Mountsville, Virginia - On October 30, Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart led his Confederate force towards Mountsville. When he got there, he discovered a Union force in the area. The Confederates caught 3 companies of the 1st Rhode Island Cavalry by surprise. By circling the Federals on a back road with the 9th Virginia, they took the Union camp, 50 prisoners and drove away the majority of the Union force.


November 3, 1862 near Harrisonville, Missouri - Col. E.C. Catherwood dispatched an oxen-drawn military train of 13 wagons toward the Pacific railhead at Sedilia. Lt. ?? Newby and 22 cavalrymen were sent along as escorts. Along the way, the Federals did not think that there was any danger along the route and became relaxed. Col. William Quantrill and his 150 Confederate guerrillas discovered the route of the wagon train. They decided that this would be an easy target.
On November 3, the Confederates quickly closed in on the wagon train and circled the wagons. After a lopsided fight, the Confederates captured Newby and 4 soldiers and the Federals who were not killed or wounded managed to escape. Quantrill ordered his men to burn the wagons, which they did. The oxen were set free and the Confederates headed south. The federals suffered 10 killed, 3 wounded and 4 captured

November 3, 1862 near Rose Hill, Missouri - n November 3, Col. E.C. Catherwood learned that Col. William Quantrill and the Confederate guerrillas were in the area that his wagon train was heading through. Catherwood gathered up 150 men from his post and headed out. When they came near Harrisonville, the Federals discovered the burning remains of the Union wagon train.
Catherwood found the trail of the guerrillas and followed it. When they were near Rose Hill, they finally caught up with the Confederates. A brief firefight ensued and the Federals chased after them. The Confederates managed to escape because the Union horses were too exhausted to continue. The confederates suffered 8 killed.

November 5, 1862 in Barbee's Cross Roads, Virginia - On November 5, there was a cavalry battle between 1,500 Union cavalry, under Brig. Gen. Alfred Pleasonton, and 3,000 Confederate cavalry, under Brig. Gen. Wade Hampton. The Union cavalry attacked the Confederates from the left flank, center, and right flank at the same time.
After a hard fought skirmish, the Confederates withdrew from the battlefield. Pleasonton did not pursue the Confederates. The battle was also called the Battle of Chester Gap. The federals suffered 15 killed & wounded. The confederates suffered 36 killed & wounded.

November 5, 1862 in Lamar, Missouri - On November 5, at 10:00 P.M., Col. William Quantrill and Col. Warner Lewis led their 300+ Confederate guerrillas to the town of Lamar. Quantrill's men entered Lamar from the north and Lewis's men from the south. They were after the Union outpost located there. They rode down the streets to the courthouse where they encountered Union soldiers. Capt. Martin Breeden and a company of the 8th Missouri Cavalry knew of the raid and were waiting for the Confederates. A firefight ensued for 1 1/2 hours. The Confederates were forced out of town but not before setting 1/3 of the town's houses of fire and losing 6 killed & over 20 wounded.

November 7, 1862 in Clark's Mill, Missouri - Having received reports that an estimated 1,000 Confederate troops, commanded by Col. John Q. Burbridge and Col. Colton Greene, were in the area, Capt. Hiram E. Barstow, Union commander at Clark's Mill, sent a detachment toward Gainesville and he led another southeastward. Barstow's 100 men ran into a Confederate force, skirmished with them and drove them back. His column then fell back to Clark's Mill where he learned that another Confederate force was coming from the northeast.
Unlimbering artillery to command both approach roads, Barstow was soon engaged in a five-hour fight with the enemy. Under a white flag, the Confederates demanded a surrender, and the Union, given their numerical inferiority, accepted. The Confederates paroled the Union troops and departed after burning the blockhouse at Clark's Mill. Clark's Mill helped the Confederates to maintain a toehold in southwest Missouri.

November 13, 1862 in Holly Springs, Mississippi - On November 13, a Union force fought a brief skirmish with some local Confederates at Holly Springs. After driving away the Confederates, the Federals took over the railroad center in town.

November 26, 1862 in Cold Knob Mountain, Virginia - On November 26, Maj. William H. Powell led an advance detachment of 21 Union cavalrymen to the foot of the Cold Knob Mountains. They discovered the location of two Confederate camps in the area. When he decided to attack the camp, he ordered his men to use their swords instead of their pistols to keep the other camp from hearing any gunfire, thus giving away the surprise. The Federals rode into camp and surprised the Confederates. After a brief struggle, Powell called for the camp commander, Lt. Col. John A. Gibson, and demanded that the Confederates surrender. The commander agreed to the surrender terms. Without a loss of life, the Federals managed to capture 500 confederates.


December 4, 1862 in Prestonburg, Kentucky - On December 4, a group of Confederates attacked and captured some Union supply boats. The boats contained weapons, ammunition, and uniforms.

December 17, 1862 in Wayne County, North Carolina - Both the Union army and Confederate forces desired to secure the strategically significant Wilmington and Weldon Railroad Bridge. On December 17, an expedition under Union Brig. Gen. John G. Foster reached the railroad near Everettsville, aiming to destroy this bridge in order to put an end to the vital supply chain from the port of Wilmington. His men began destroying the tracks north toward the Goldsborough Bridge. Clingman's Confederate brigade delayed the advance, but was unable to prevent the destruction of the bridge. Foster's troops overpowered the small amount of defending Confederate soldiers and successfully burned down the bridge. His mission accomplished, Foster departed to return to their base at New Bern. On their way back, Foster's men were again attacked by Confederate forces, but they repulsed the assault, taking far less casualties than the enemy. Foster arrived at his camp on December 20. There were about 220 casualties combined for both sides.

December 20-21, 1862 in Trenton, Tennessee - On December 20, Brig. Gen. Nathan B. Forrest and his Confederate raiders approached the town of Trenton. Trenton had a Union post that was currently manned by a detachment of the 7th Tennessee Cavalry, the 126th Illinois Infantry, and a number of convalescents totaling about 130 troops. The majority of the Union regulars were on a seperate mission.
Forrest attacked the town and the Federals barricaded themselves behind bales of cotton at the city's railroad depot. They made a short stand before having to surrender to the Confederates.
On December 21, after gathering all of the supplies that they could carry with them, the Confederate raiders left Trenton. This was part of Forrest's West Tennessee Expedition

December 21, 1862 in Union City, Tennessee - On December 21, Brig. Gen. Nathan B. Forrest and his Confederate raiders left Trenton and headed north. They moved into Union City and captured it without any resistance. The Confederates plundered the town and captured some supplies. When Forrest had done everything that he planned on doing, the Confederates retired back to Dresden. This was part of Forrest's West Tennessee Expedition

December 24, 1862 in Middleburg, Mississippi - On December 24, Maj. Gen. Earl Van Dorn and his Confederate force attacked a Union blockhouse at Middleburg. The blockhouse was being manned by the 115 men of the 12th Michigan Infantry, commanded by Col. William H. Graves. Van Dorn sent a surrender request to Graves, who immediately refused the request. Graves replied the he "would surrender when whipped." The Confederate attack lasted for 2 hours and 15 minutes. The Federals repulsed the Confederate attacks. The Confederates suffered 9 killed & 11 wounded

December 24, 1862 in Glasgow, Kentucky - On December 24, Col. John H. Morgan and his Confederate raiders entered Glasgow. They encountered a battalion of the 2nd Michigan Cavalry and the two sides began to skirmish. There were only slight losses for each side.

December 26, 1862 in Bacon Creek, Tennessee - On December 26, Col. John H. Morgan and his Confederate raiders travelled past Munfordville on their way to Bacon Creek. While at the creek, Morgan encountered a Union force and brief skirmish took place. Both sides would pull back and head on their seperate ways.

December 27, 1862 in Elizabethtown, Kentucky - On December 27, Col. John H. Morgan and his Confederate raiders entered Elizabethtown. The Federal authorities offered Morgan a flag of truce. They suggested to Morgan that the Confederates were surrounded and that Morgan ought to surrender to the Federals. Morgan came back with the statement that the Union troops in town needed to surrender to the Confederates. The Federals refused Morgan's surrender offer.
The Confederates opened up on the town with their artillery and immediately began to shell the town. The Union troops took cover in the nearby houses. After 45 minutes of the Confederate shelling of the town, the town offered its surrender to Morgan.

December 28, 1862 in Muldraugh's Hill, Tennessee - On December 28, Col. John H. Morgan and his Confederate raiders were passing close to Louisville when they encountered a Union force at Muldraugh's Hill. A brief skirmish occured with the Confederates forcing the Federals to withdraw from the area.

December 29, 1862 in Boston, Kentucky - On December 29, Col. John H. Morgan and his Confederate raiders captured a Federal stockade in the town of Boston.

December 29, 1862 in Johnson's Ferry, Tennessee - On December 29, Col. John H. Morgan and his Confederate raiders were riding along and encountered the 10th Kentucky Infantry (U.S.), commanded by Col. John M. Harlan, at Johnson's Ferry, located at Hamilton's Ford. The ford was located on the Rolling Fork Creek near Boston.
A brief skirmish ensued with the Confederates forcing the Federals to withdraw.
Harlan blamed a faulty train engine and a lack of shoes and socks for his soldiers for his inability to stop the Confederate attack.

December 30, 1862 in Carter's Depot, Tennessee - On December 30, Brig. Gen. Samuel P. Carter and a portion(150 men) of his brigade of Union raiders headed off to Carter's Depot, also known as Carter's Station. The depot was 10 miles south of Union. It had a significant railroad landmark and stood at the northern end of the 400ft-long Watauga Bridge. Carter's Depot was a major refueling and telegraph stop on the railroad line. A company of the 62nd North Carolina Infantry (130 men), commanded by Col. Robert G.A. Love, were responsible for the defense of the depot.
When Carter's men entered town, they met the Confederates. A brief skirmish took place in the late afternoon between the two sides. The end of the fight came when a Union cavalry charge broke the Confederates center. This collapse of the line forced the Confederates to retreat. The Federals then burned the railroad depot, a cache of supplies, and torched the bridge. The bridge collapsed while a Confederate train was on it.

December 30, 1862 in Union, Tennessee - On December 30, Brig. Gen. Samuel P. Carter and his Union raiders were approaching Union. The Confederate garrison in Union was composed of the 62nd North Carolina Infantry, commanded by Maj. B.G. McDowell. McDoweel went outside of town to investigate a rumor that the Union force was heading towards Union. He was captured by the Federals outside of town. When Carter arrived at the town, the Confederates immediately surrendered to Carter. He ordered his men to soak the wooden bridge and set fire to it. The bridge was over the Holston River and spanned some 600ft. After the bridge was destroyed, the Federals also destroyed the town's railroad depot, a nearby wagon bridge, 3 railroad cars filled with Confederate supplies, telegraphic equipment, and more than 700 muskets and rifles.

December 30, 1862 in Blountsville, Virginia - On December 30, Brig. Gen. Samuel P. Carter and his Union raiders had reached Blountsville by dawn. They captured the town's military hospital and captured and paroled 30 Confederate prisoners. Carter gathered up his raiders and then started out for Union, which was to the east of Blountsville.

December 30, 1862 in New Haven, Kentucky - On December 30, Col. John H. Morgan and his Confederate raiders, consisting of three companies of the Confederate 9th Kentucky Cavalry (approximately 225 men) and one howitzer from Morgan's artillery battery, had been sent to destroy the bridge across the Rolling Fork River at New Haven. When they entered New Haven, the Confederates encountered Company H of the 78th Illinois Infantry (with the regimental field and staff - approximately 95 men). The Federals were guarding a stockade at the time. They demanded the surrender of the fort (Fort Allen) and when it was refused they tried to shell the Union out of the stockade. The 12 lb howitzer they had could not do the job and the Confederates attacked on foot and horseback - but were driven back by heavy musketry with at least 3 wounded. They left and met up with Morgan's main body between Springfield and Lebanon KY.

December 30, 1862 in Jefferson, Tennessee - On December 29, Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler led several Confederate regiments on a raid around the flank and rear of the entire Union army. Around midnight, the Confederate rode out the Lebanon pike for 5 miles, then turned to the north towards Jefferson.
On December 30, Wheeler's raiders entered Jefferson. They captured a Union wagon train containing 20 wagons. The Confederates burned all of them. They then rode out of town, headed to another objective.

December 30, 1862 in Lavergne, Tennessee - On December 30, around noon, Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler led several Confederate regiments to the village of Lavergne. Once there, they captured and burned a Union wagon train and captured and paroled 800 Federals. The train consisted of 300 wagons loaded with army stores and estimated a worth of $1,000,000.

December 30, 1862 in Nolensville, Tennessee - On December 30, late in the day, Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler led several Confederate regiments to the village of Nolensville. They captured another Union wagon train that contained ammunition and medicine. They also captured and paroled more Union prisoners.

Site Map | Copyright © 2012,